Thursday, September 04, 2008

Big or Little?

cows by Lori Levin
"Moment"
9x12
oil on panel (framed)
$325.00

Staying up at night to watch coverage of the national conventions is proving to be a difficult task. I can't seem to keep my eyes open past 9pm so I have to catch the snippets of the speeches on the news the following day. Other than the fact that this presidential election is unprecedented due to race and gender, I find it no more inspiring than those of the past. It seems that the human race has not changed a whole lot. Why is it that individuals make other people seem little so that they can feel big? Do you think there could be a campaign without mud slinging? Sadly the answer is no.

This isn't just a political problem. Now that I have children around, I watch how they try to impress adults and other kids by making fun or boasting. Adults are worse frankly. Often we sit around a table discussing the negative behavior of someone else so that we can feel good about what we are doing. That discussion can turn into an "us against them" sort of deal which makes us feel even better because it is a bonding moment. I'm not throwing stones because I'm as guilty as the next guy. I will admit I do much less of that now but sometimes it is easy to fall into the trap. When it happens to me I try to take a step back and figure out what I am feeling small about.

This painting was a result of watching cows in a local field. There was one that was very timid and would tuck itself under the neck of a bolder cow. They were the same size but one obviously felt small and in need of protection. It made me wonder if the other cow felt bigger because of being needed. My own desire to be bigger often requires someone else to feel little. I think I will know true success when I'm able to feel big without someone else feeling little. Maybe then I will run for president!

The new Soulful Studios website should be launched next week. The painting above will be on display at First Impressions Art Gallery then as well. I am starting a new pet portrait of a dog named Buster shortly as well. More things to tell you but you will have to check them out when the new websites launches.

1 comment:

KleoPatra said...

Can't wait to see the new site. Way to go!!

Love the cows. They are so soulful, aren't they? You make them truly come to life in all their exceptional beauty.

xo