Monday, January 30, 2006

Rose Petals

Roses by Lori Levin
First...this is a LOUSY photo. I will post this again tomorrow if I can photograph it in natural light. Ok, I'm done complaining.

I don't consider myself a floral painter but I am a big fan of those who are. Georgia O'Keeffe once said she didn't see what everyone else saw in her flowers. She said her intent was not to paint sensual or sexual flowers but to show them on a scale that nobody had every seen, so that people would pay attention to them. Well, I'm here to tell you that I think she was not telling the truth. Maybe it is me but I found painting this rose to be a very sensual experience. As an artist, I must feel like I am actually touching what it is I am painting. Not only is it a visual experience but a very tactile one at the same time. I'll just leave it at that.

I have to laugh when I think of the music I listened to while painting this. Pink Floyd, Hendrix and Pearl Jam. Interesting mix for a delicate flower. Just thought I would share.

Please check back in the next day or so for a better photo of this to see the real colors.

No comments: