Saturday, June 02, 2007

Perception

vietnam vet by lori levin

This is Carlton. Big biker dude with serious ink covering his body, long hair and a belly that has enjoyed a few beers. He's a Vietnam Vet. Would you shy away from him at a party or sit next to him for a long chat? We've all seen and known folks like this and depending on your own background you have an opinion or idea on your head of what he is all about. This is your reality. The truth is that your reality is only a perception of what is truly there. Now, I don't mean to get all deep and spew a bunch of crap at you. I really don't take myself that seriously. What I'm trying to say is that every single one of us sees life and others through the eyes of our own experiences. Everything is colored by what we think we know. Often we think others see things the way we do. We know it isn't so but we tend to do it anyway.

This is something I always catch myself thinking about. How altered is my vision? How do others perceive me/my art and does that really matter? The glory of being an artist is that I get to spend my day creating visual representations of the world as I see it. The fly in the ointment is that when you view my art, you see what you want to see based on what is comfortable to you. At the end of the day, I must be satisfied with the process and that I captured my vision with drawing or painting because in the end you may not see what I intended. That's ok.

I guess I answered my own question.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to meet this man. Perhaps I don't mix well with the norm....

KleoPatra said...

"The glory of being an artist is that I get to spend my day creating visual representations of the world as I see it."

Period. The end. 'nuf said.

:o)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful portrate is it for sale?