Wednesday, October 03, 2007

The Fog

Delaware River by Levin
"Weary Soldiers"
pencil drawing in moleskine sketchbook


At 6:30 this morning I headed out to the park to catch a glimpse of the bridge. The fog was thick and I hoped to sketch it masked in the mist as the sun came up. Again, I plan and God laughs. It was completely hidden and even by 7:45 nothing had changed. The sun wasn't breaking through like it normally does.

Instead I chose not to lose this precious moment of being prepared to sketch so early in the morning. It has been a long time since I was able to do this so I wasn't going to waste it. The scene before me was the remains of the old burnt out dock a couple of yards out from the park. Behind it in the distance the lights from some buildings on the other side of the Delaware could be seen. Everything was painted in grey. I felt this was a good fit. I related. Maybe you do too.

So Joe Pulcinella blog tagged me a while back and asked me to share 8 things you might not know about me. Ok...

1. I love to bake. My cousin calls my cookie creations "Jewies Chewies". I've considered opening a little bakery many times.

2. I wore blue contacts in high school for a year. If you've seen me you can imagine how foolish that looked. It was like having blue christmas tree lights for eyes.

3. I have a strange memory. I see things in little moving pictures and can remember what color your socks wore when we met but not your name.

4. I love to dress up for Halloween. No, not your typical slutty nurse or anything like that but I like to be ghoulish and unrecognisable. I once dressed as a male dead soldier, complete with dead bugs flying out of my mouth. I went around the neighborhood and scared little kids to death and made one pee his pants. My own mother didn't know who I was. Perhaps I missed my calling doing movie special effects.

5. I rarely use my cell phone. If I'm not home I probably don't want to talk to you. I'm just not into technology that much.

6. I used to barrel race. It is a rodeo event for women. Nothing like a Jewish cowgirl to confuse everyone.

7. I worked at Disney World. I was on vaction with my mother and sister and someone came up to me and told me I had "the Disney image". Instead of taking a scholarship to art college I thought making $4.75 would be a better idea. I was wrong and quickly came home and went to school. I tried to get out of being an artist many times. This leads me to our last Lori factoid...

8. I studied to be an interpreter for the deaf. I left art school and began living in the deaf community for two years. As soon as I got good enough to do it as a career I went back to art school. Now I can't stop talking with my hands and neither hearing or deaf people understand me.

I know I'm supposed to tag others now but I won't. The other folks I know that blog wouldn't follow through so it isn't worth it. So I guess the blog stops here.

3 comments:

PhotoJoe said...

"Now I can't stop talking with my hands..."

I didn't know you were Italian.

Scott Fertig said...

I'm sure this only scratches the surface! Nice sketch.

KleoPatra said...

Way cool to find out more about you, Lori.

Hugs from another Jewish cowgirl (wannabe, in my case!) who talks with her hands (such a Jewish thing!! OY!)

"Weary Solidiers" is lovely. As always. You are so talented...