Friday, March 14, 2008

Another Car Painting

View of Delaware River by Levin" Morning View by the River"
9x12
acrylic on canvas

Can we still call this a plein air painting when it was created in my little Scion XB? Yes, I did this one in my car too. A few weeks ago I did a sketch like this and I kept saying I wanted to go back and paint it. I chose to do it this week and what a joy it was. Sitting in my warm car with my favorite tunes playing and painting just seemed too good to be true. Mentally it is exhausting but when I'm done I feel like I've conquered the world. What draws me to this tree is that like so much else in Pennsville along Penn Beach, it is slanted from the wind. Everything along the water "bends" to the will of the winds off the Delaware River. Everything including me I think must bend. Also, I am so taken by that Delaware Memorial Bridge that I am always looking for ways to include it in my work. Maybe one day I'll do a dog with the bridge! That would incorporate all my talents! Wacky.

Speaking of dogs, the previous piece shown, "Good Stick, Good Dog" has been sold. I will be making note cards of the image too, so if you are interested in those please let me know.

I want to give a little shout out to my wonderful friends Denise Erickson and Deborah Lynam. The three of us spent the day together to see the Frida Kahlo exhibition and had an amazing time. During the private tour and after, we learned so much about Frida, ourselves and our art it was mind blowing. We slowed down and took in the images like they were nourishment for our souls. So much of today's culture insists on flashing pictures before your eyes with no time to savor them. This experience was completely different and reminded us that art, like fine food, should be taken in slowly and enjoyed to the point that each color and flavor is appreciated and understood. Thanks ladies for such a beautiful day that I will always remember.

No comments: