Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Strange Relationship

Penn Beach by Lori Levin "Oberlin"
graphite sketch in moleskine


Ft Elfsborg by Lori Levin "FT Elfsborg Road"

graphite sketch in Moleskine

Riverview Tree by Lori Levin "Aging Gracefully"

graphite sketch in Moleskine

I'm busy working in the studio on some new horse paintings and finishing up framing and one little plein air piece for the next First Impressions Gallery show. My next post will include details of that. I've noticed that I am behind on blog posts, so I thought I would show you some the sketches in my moleskine sketch book.

These sketches are a good indication of what is going on in my mind and life at the time. The above images are from a few weeks ago and I see that they are somewhat careful and polite. I have more sketches to post that are darker, bolder and more graphic. This doesn't mean that they are better than what I display here but rather they mimic my attitude.

I'm feeling bolder about my art. Somehow my vision is clearer. Only the work I do will prove that so I don't want to say much more. However, I notice a strange relationship building with my car. I do some of my best work in there. All of my sketches of late have been created in my car as well as another plein air piece that you have not seen as of yet. I'm starting to wonder if I should just keep my paints in there at all times as that is where they end up anyway.

Now I wonder, should I call it painting in plein air when it is done in an automobile?

No comments: