Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Inspiration

Round Bale by Lori Levin "Round Bale"
sketch in moleskine

Last night's storms are over, leaving us with a gorgeous day today. Though I have deadlines I must meet, I took time to take in the beauty of my lovely Salem County and record it in my moleskine sketchbook. This view is alongside the road leading to Fort Mott. (Remember, this is yet another state park that is scheduled for closing. I'll stop there before I get hot.) There were a dozen or so round bales in a small field. Egrets were hanging out there as well. I stopped on the side of the road to take it all in and began my drawing.

Purposely I chose to do a scene with the Salem Nuclear Plant's cooling tower looming in the background. I no longer see this as an eyesore. Now it has become a source of inspiration to me. Most would have passed by this scene unmoved but it is my vision and perspective that creates the interest. Though it doesn't really belong in a landscape, I see the tower as beautiful. This is how I see my life you could say. Of course I made the hay, the naturally lovely object, take center stage. Yes, I put it dead center for a reason. It is a visual conversation about power. To me, this speaks of how things in the background can subtly overtake the obvious attention getter. Tell me what you think about this. Is there a clear object of dominance in this drawing or does something continuously beg you to adjust your thinking?

2 comments:

KleoPatra said...

Honestly, my eyes go to the bale and shift away from the background... maybe because i don't want to see what's there...

Anonymous said...

My eyes go to the bale, too. In fact, I didn't even notice the cooling tower until I read your post. I don't know what I thought it was...a silo, maybe.