Monday, January 31, 2011

Feelings and Reality

fine art by Lori Levin
"Bending Over Backwards"
5"x7"
Acrylic on Panel
Email to Purchase

I just returned from the market. Another storm approaches the area and everyone is talking about it. Some people complained and others made jokes. In either case, more winter weather is on the way and there is nothing we can do about it. If you don't like the cold or driving in snowy conditions the pain is coming but should you suffer?

It all depends on the story you tell yourself. So often we say we hate winter and want spring to arrive. If only the ice would melt we would be happy. That's the tale we tell ourselves. What if we were to spin it another way? Could you imagine everyone smiling and saying how they love to make soup on blustery days or not being able to spend time outside gives them time to focus on fixing up their home? Or better yet, after a season of running the kids around they are enjoying just watching old movies and wearing their favorite flannel pajamas.

I'm learning that what is is. If I attach a negative feeling to a situation that is the story I tell myself about it. It drags me down like an anchor and I have only myself to blame. However if I decide that fighting with reality is insanity and I create a positive emotion to connect to my experience, life becomes lighter and brighter.

To take it a step further, I can even take each feeling and question it against what I know to be provably true. Most feelings do not stand up well to fact. When I take that approach, life becomes curiosity and my world is full of possibilities.

The trick is to be able to do this when feelings are overwhelming. That takes planning. When feelings look like truth and you are ready to believe your own bad press, it is wise to breathe. Breathe deeply and call a friend who knows the real you, not you mired in emotion.

If all else fails there is always chocolate. Where did I put that brownie?

1 comment:

Cape Coop said...

You've found a truth Lori- perception and reaction are EVERYTHING as far as happiness goes.