Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Dog Portrait Continued

dog portrait
Most of my work recently has been commission related. Soon I will be able to share with you one that I recently completed. It was a surprise gift so I've had to keep it under my hat. See, I can keep a secret!

Now all of my attention goes to this portrait of a lovely Golden Retriever named Summer. I have shared the progression of this piece in earlier posts(Original Photos and Beginning Sketch). It is somewhat of a challenge because I need to make her look younger than the photos provided but still retain her current personality.

Here you can see the under-painting. It is quite colorful and loose. From here I will add more realistic color and the detail that I'm known for. The entire painting will become lighter overall. I always start dark and work my way towards lighter values. It is almost impossible to go the other way. This stage of the painting sets the tone for the rest of the work. If I start too tight and lack vibrancyhere, the final painting will be lifeless. Also, the character of the animal must be firmly established at this point. I believe this one is off to a good start.

No comments: